Subclass 485 visa
The Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) visa allows holders to live and work in Australia temporarily after they have finished their studies in Australia.
The Subclass 485 visa has two streams:
Graduate Work stream – for international students who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the MLTSSL. A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months
Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with an eligible qualification. This stream is only available to students who applied for and were granted their first Student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to 4 years, depending on the qualification (2 years for Bachelor degree, Bachelor degree with Honours, Masters by Coursework degree, Masters (extended) degree,
3 years for Masters by Research degree, and 4 years Doctoral degree).
To be eligible for a Subclass 485 visa,you must:
- hold an eligible visa;
- be less than 50 years old at time of application;
- demonstrate ‘competent’ English;
- meet the two year Australian Study Requirement in the last six months;
- meet health and character requirements;
- have health insurance in Australia; and
- meet the specific requirements of the stream in which you are applying for.
Holders of a first Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) visa in The Post-Study work stream who graduated with a degree from an Australian institution located in regional Australia may be eligible for a Second Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) visa.
Subclass 476 visa
The temporary Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Subclass 476) visa allows recent Engineering Graduates of eligible universities to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience in occupations.
You may be inside or outside Australia when you apply for this visa however you must be outside of Australia when the visa is decided, unless you are a New Zealand citizen who holds a Special Category (Subclass 444) visa. then you can be in or outside Australia when the visa is decided.
To be eligible for a Subclass 476 visa, you must:
- be younger than 31 years of age;
- have completed an eligible Engineering qualification from a recognised institution in the past two years;
- have not previously held a Subclass 476 visa or a Subclass 485 visa (unless you were a dependent family member);
- demonstrate your English language ability; and
- meet health and character requirements.
You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted. This also applies to all dependent family members in your application who are 18 years of age or older.